20 minute delay

Discussion in 'eInvesting Feedback' started by mindlessbombs, Feb 1, 2008.

1. mindlessbombs

mindlessbombs Member Original Member

i think if the twenty minute delay would go away it could make it way more realistic, also what about real time java updating of stock prices.

2. Dave Rathbun

Dave Rathbun Original Creator Original Member

If you have a reliable, free source of real-time quotes let me know, and we can investigate it. :)

3. vetelmo

vetelmo Active Member Original Member

Yahoo has real time again.

4. Dave Rathbun

I played with the real-time quotes but they're not complete. They only get real-time data from electronic trades. At this time I don't think we'll switch this process, but there is one improvement coming.

Nasdaq quotes are only delayed 15 minutes, yet Nasdaq trades on this board are delayed 20 minutes just like NYSE trades. During the next update to the site we're adding code so that trades are delayed for 15 or 20 minutes based on the exchange. That means Nasdaq trades here will be delayed for only 15 minutes, which will try to match the quote data delay a little better.

A longer-term update that we have planned will allow you to "day trade" or "swing trade" more effectively by placing a trade order to "sell" a holding before you've bought it. Today you cannot sell something until the buy order completes. The plan is to offer the ability to place a sell order essentially immediately after you buy. That will make it possible for people that want to try that strategy to do so.

The trade delay adjustment will be coming out in the next round of updates, which hopefully will be coming soon. The day-trading update is not on the schedule yet, but is on the development roadmap.

5. bobis

bobis Member Original Member

Home Page:
    I agree the delay should go away because the brokers at the exchange dont have a long delay.

6. Dave Rathbun

The delay will not be removed unless / until we can get a real-time quote source for the game. It's either than, or we institute a manditory holding period of at least one day per position to prevent someone from trading in and out of a position and taking advantage of the short-term advantage that having real-time information would bring.