Portfolio Screens, After Hours Trading

Discussion in 'eInvesting Feedback' started by Dave Rathbun, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Dave Rathbun

Dave Rathbun Original Creator Original Member

I am probably biased ;) but I liked the portfolio screen from the original system better than what is currently available. The older screen was modeled after the screens that E*Trade uses (where I have my real trading account) and showed things like purchase price, daily swing, total gain by both dollars and percent, and current market value. Everything was displayed on one line, with a "Buy" and "Sell" link by each stock. I probably have some screen shots of the old system around somewhere if that would help, or here's a screen shot from E*Trade showing what I mean. I've removed most of the holdings, and blanked out quantity and other specific information, but you get the idea. There is a line at the bottom for cash, and then a total at the very bottom.

If you can swing the calculation, providing annualized return would be awesome, but I doubt that most folks here are going to hold positions that long.

etrade-portfolio.png

A table format like this would be - in my opinion - much easier to read and analyze.

Yes, I really did buy Apple at 1.47 / share; I've also held it for over a decade. :)

Regarding after hours trading... again, I'm biased :) but the old system did allow you to enter trades at any time. The risk was the system only supported market orders, so if there was a gap down (or up) at market open you might not like the results. Trades were held in a queue. Users could cancel a trade if it hadn't executed yet, and once the market opened any queued trades were executed at that time. I don't know if the new architecture would support that or not, but it did make the original system very flexible for those who want to enter trades but can't always come to the site during the day.

Limit orders were always on the "to do" list but never made it into the site.

2. JRW-910

JRW-910 Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Electrical Engineer
    Home Page:
    I can't imagine why you'd be biased! :rolleyes:

The previous platform that you developed was very good. It worked well and had enough features to allow the community to have some fun and compete with their portfolios. It was more of a custom bit of code then a separate addon which became an issue when trying to update the BB software. In addition, the BB platform became very dated when compared to vB, XF, and others. I would have much preferred to keep your simulator, but the process of converting it to a different BB software was far beyond my skill set. Carrying over the users, posts, etc and starting a new simulator was the best I could do!

I am working with the developer of the addon to see if we can implement some of the features that you pointed out.

Thanks,

-JRW

3. Dave Rathbun

Dave Rathbun Original Creator Original Member

The user interface and "wow factor" of the new simulator is awesome though. It looks really, really good. I'm looking forward to seeing the site grow.