Simulator Updates / Progress Notes

Discussion in 'eInvesting Trading Simulator' started by Trading Simulator, Feb 3, 2006.

1. nelaina

nelaina Active Member Original Member

haha yeah or do it herself!!! :eek:

@ Dave, thanks im just being silly.

2. Grimreaper

Grimreaper Active Member Original Member

I doan have time fo dat. If I get screwed up on a trade because of bad fills I usually just eliminate it and go somewhere else since I am making big bets, so my turnover rate will be high but hopefully the returns will warrant it :D Today's debacle really pee-a-zissed me off because it was worth much more than 2% if I hadn't gotten frustrated wit da fill agin. I knew AVNX would rally so when it was below 2.20 I bought 70K I think it was. I got a 2.23 fill. It started trading back so I eliminated it where I would have kept it with the correct fill. I knew it would hit at least 2.35...se what it did today? For da record...I wouldn't have held a single share of AVNX once it made this run today, I would have sold all at 2.35-2.40, but I still likes it fo anudder trade. :D

3. Dave Rathbun

Dave Rathbun Original Creator Original Member

Monthly returns have been adjusted slightly as commissions are now properly being calculated in the Cash In / Cash Out section of the return page. Commissions were not being used there before. The change did not change any of the monthly winner positions, but it did change the percentages slightly. For example, in 3rd place Grimreaper dropped from a 25.5% return to 25.2% return due to commissions. crazymonk in first place had zero trades, so their return did not change at all.

The monthly reset is supposed to happen tonight. :-D When that happens, your monthly return is set to zero, your monthly posts are set to zero, your churn rate is set to zero, your monthly record for April (in this case) is recorded to a historical record table, and we get ready to start the next month.

4. vetelmo

vetelmo Active Member Original Member

LET'S GET IT ON!!!!

5. Dave Rathbun

Okay, the month end process now consists of two parts. The first part goes through the same portfolio calculation process used by the "my return" page as well as the background script that runs during market hours. Both scripts have been updated to include commissions while calculating cash flow (in/out) numbers.

At month end (like tonight) the script will insert rows into a portfolio activity table for historical purposes. Look for a screen soon that will allow you to review your historical returns... this screen will (subject to Benjamin's approval) be public, meaning anyone can view your monthly return history. No trade details (holdings, etc.) will be visible on this screen, people will still have to pay to peek your portfolio.

The second part of the script resets your visible information like monthly posts, churn rate, trade count, and so on. At this time everyone should be at zero trades, zero churn, and zero monthly posts. The current active leader list is empty, since nobody has the posts to show up. :)

Last month there were five stock holdings that were not properly handled. This month there was one, and I will post details about it shortly. The numbers have been corrected, so there are (to the best of my knowledge) no outstanding issues this run.

6. Dave Rathbun

During the month-end reset run tonight one stock came up invalid. The stock symbol was DEZ and no quote value was returned.

After some research I found this article where it says that DEZ was acquired earlier this month by AUY for 0.6 shares of stock. As a result, the two open holdings of DEZ have had their stock purchase qty reduced to 0.6 shares of AUY per each share of DEZ (200 shares becomes 120, 100 shares becomes 60) and the purchase price increased by 0.6 as well. I'm not convinced the purchase price change is correct, so if you're one of the two people holding active shares in DEZ now AUY please contact me via PM.

Everything else looks good on preliminary checks, but as always, if you see something that seems strange please let me know by posting in this topic. Thanks.

7. vetelmo

What if you don't want anyone to see your historical? Just a question of curiosity. :)

8. Dave Rathbun

It's open for discussion. :) My question to you, why wouldn't you? If you have a great return this month, and decent to outstanding returns for prior months, don't you think people would be more inclined to pay to peek your returns? ;-)

The screen(s) will be built, I will leave it to public discussion and ultimately to Benjamin as to how they are secured.

9. vetelmo

I'm not sure why, maybe it's my stubborn selfishness to keep it allll a secret, lol.

10. Dave Rathbun

The screen is available, and pending further discussion it is private for now. If you look at the bottom of any of the simulator-related screens (portfolio, order queue, and so on) you will see five links. These links are, from left to right:

Your Portfolio: View your current (open) holdings and return calculation for each holding (not month to date).

Order Queue: See your order queue history, including any currently open orders. The order queue does not calculate return values.

Trade History: Like the portfolio screen except it shows only closed holdings. Calculates returns for each holding.

Monthly Return: This is the new screen that shows the monthly return calculation details. Each time you view this screen it will update your monthly return. The same code is run for all users on the board every 15 minutes.

Account History: This is the newest screen. It shows your summary data from the "Monthly Return" screen for the prior month(s). For now it only shows data from April, 2006 (200604) but I hope to be able to back-fill the data back to the beginning of the year. No promises. We're collecting the data now, but I have no idea how easy / hard it will be to calculate everyone's back numbers to the start of the year. If I can, then we will have along with the monthly (MTD) return a year to date calculation too.

11. vetelmo

Oh I like the idea of a year to date return stat!! I really like all of the new additions from last month, ESPECIALLY the new monthly return calculation!

12. nelaina

yea a YTD calc would be stellar!

all the new additions are well beyond what i was expecting! :D

13. Dave Rathbun

Under-promise, over-deliver. :-D

In all seriousness, I can't check everyone's portfolio, so I'm going to ask folks to make one simple observation for me. I don't need to hear from you if everything is okay, just if there is an issue. If you look at the monthly activity screen (it's the newest screen) the ending balance for last month (April) should be the opening balance for this month as displayed on your Monthly Return screen.

The ending balance for April does not include cash, remember, so any posting activities that you did over the weekend will not impact that screen. If everything went correctly, the closing balance (as calculated) for last month should be the opening balance for this month. So if they are not, please let me know.

Account History
    Monthly Return

14. vetelmo

Hey the price is gone again on the purchase page. What gives??

15. Dave Rathbun

The price never came back, to avoid confusion. The part that came back was the "you can buy up to X shares". The price that was shown on that page was not the eventual trade price, so it's been dropped.

16. vetelmo

Well I found it to be a useful tool, I guess I will have to find the calculator. I don't remember anyone complaining about it. If it is the same price that is showing on yahoo, not real time, just how confusing can it be??? :? :roll:

17. nelaina

i think something is wrong with my return!

18. Dave Rathbun

What do you need a calculator for? The price is gone, but you still get this:
    The only thing missing is the actual price, since it's the "current" quote from Yahoo and not the one that your trade will be executed at.

[Edited]
    Sorry, I re-read this post and it seemed a bit harsh. :) Let me try to clarify what I am trying to say...

The specific price is not displayed, but the text does still try to give you an idea of how many shares you can purchase without overdrawing your account. So I guess I'm not sure what you're missing. The price, as it was displayed, is still being used to calculate the approximate shares.

19. Dave Rathbun

TS didn't get a month ending price.

I just tried to fix this! :x

I'm at work, and the client blocks certain ports, so I don't have direct access to the database, I have to work through something else. It's like working with one hand tied behind my back. I'll fix your numbers shortly.

If anyone is looking at your numbers and they seem high, check out the Monthly Return page at http://www.einvesting.com/myreturn.php and look at the opening positions. If there is anything with a month end price of zero, that's the issue, and it will be fixed after I get home from my client.

20. jdunn72

jdunn72 Active Member Original Member

Home Page:
    Well, have you tried going through the google translator? I know it sounds stupid but, if they don't block the translator it's sort of like an instant proxy to anywhere.... try to keep that under your hat (or it won't last long). 8)