Simulator Updates / Progress Notes

Discussion in 'eInvesting Trading Simulator' started by Trading Simulator, Feb 3, 2006.

1. vetelmo

vetelmo Active Member Original Member

Hey Dave the bottom of the web pages have this error message

Template->make_filename(): Error - file overall_footer.tpl does not exist

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Active Member Original Member

Webmaster/Investor
    Home Page:
    I broke it, I added a google search. ;)

3. vetelmo

vetelmo Active Member Original Member

Oh interesting. I like it! ;)

4. jdunn72

jdunn72 Active Member Original Member

Home Page:
    Yeah, but for some reason it doesn't do a very good job searching this site, probly 'cause the pages are all fetched by a database and einvesting doesn't generate search engine friendly static html pages. :(

5. Dave Rathbun

Dave Rathbun Original Creator Original Member

An update on the issue a few of you are experiencing (mentioned in another topic)...

I have verified that the issue is with partial sales. If you do a partial sale on a holding that was opened in a prior month, the month-end price was not getting transfered. I made a change to the code last night from my hotel that should fix that. However, the network at the hotel was incredibly bad, and I was not able to stay connected with enough reliability to fix the data issues.

So the code is fixed, but there are 9 rows of data in the stock holdings table that need to be updated, and those rows have not yet been done. That means that for now some of you will enjoy inflated returns until the data is fixed.

I will try to get to it tonight; hopefully the connection will be better, or I will go to the business center where they have wired rather than wireless access.

6. Benjamin

Benjamin Active Member Original Member

Webmaster/Investor
    Home Page:
    It's true...

Your better off using the search built in to the forum:
    http://www.einvesting.com/search.php

If you search a symbol for example you'll see if we're talking about it. ;)

Actually, for the not logged in visitors it does show static html pages. For a while we had a TON of duplicate content in google, but it seems to be cleaning up now.

7. jdunn72

Home Page:

That is great, good job. :wink:

8. jdunn72

Home Page:
    Well, the suspense is killing me here. I am finding the current percentage problem after 3 (or is it 4) days unbearable. I closed all but five of my positions today amazingly I was instanlty put to a -32.37% :shock: I'm just gonna wait until it gets fixed. :_( I find it unlikely that many active accounts are correct for now. :roll:

9. akh098

akh098 Active Member Original Member

Student
    Me also -24%. But no problem at all. :p Its tough issue and moderators and administrators are doing best to solve the bug.

Take your time :) . Meanwhile enjoying ride

10. jdunn72

Home Page:
    And now I haven't done anything and my networth went up to 525g's and back down to 415g's now I am up again by 29%..... WOW, it's like a freewheeling rollercoaster. I'll keep an eye out for things to get right. :roll:

11. jdunn72

Home Page:

Oh, don't get me wrong. I love this site, I know it's a lot of work, and a labor of love that keeps it rollin' and a lot of positive changes have been implimented, I just cannot tell what is going on for the big picture in my account. I do know that I am not negative.... I just don't know exactly where I am, and that bothers me. :wink:

12. jdunn72

Home Page:
    Can I get an updated ETA for repair on this zero sum % issue?

13. Dave Rathbun

I intend to get this done tonight. If I don't get all of the missing month-end prices caused by partial share sales fixed before the market opens again on Monday, I will donate e$500 to each affected person per day until it's fixed. How's that? :-D

Once I get everything fixed, I will run the update script that recalculates everyone's portfolio return. That way everyone will be updated, and everyone will know where they stand relative to everyone else.

I've been on the road the past three days, and the hotel internet was miserable. I didn't get home until close to midnight last night, and was at work by 6:00 am this morning, so there wasn't much time. I do understand the frustration of now knowing how the standings really are. The bug that caused the issue has been fixed, so no new instances of this should appear. What I need to do tonight is identify every holding that was open from last month (or earlier) that has a zero month-end price from last month and assign the proper values. But before I do that, I want to verify that each of the rows in the database with this error were all caused by the same thing. In other words, I want to take a couple of hours to thoroughly investigate the data before I fix it.

14. jdunn72

Home Page:
    Sounds good, I was worried that you might have gotten yourself bushwhacked out there in the desert somewhere. :lol:

15. Dave Rathbun

There were 10 stocks with a month-end price of zero. I am in the process now of verifying that they are all the result of a partial sale from a prior holding as I suspected. If that is the case, I will be able to update them all tonight with their proper month-end price and will then rerun the portfolio update to set everyone's portfolio numbers correctly. We'll be able to see who's really in first.

From what I have been able to check, the bug-fix is working properly. All partial share sales that have been processed since the fix are getting the data set correctly.

I have also added another field to the database to better be able to track partial sells in the future. Nobody cares about this part but me. :-D

More details to be posted soon. The internet at my house is sooo much better than the hotel I was at this week, I can actually be functional.

16. jdunn72

Home Page:
    Alright, good news. :)

17. Dave Rathbun

If you had holdings in SGTL, HERO, PBR, TIE, UNT, BRCO, AET, FCEL, SPLS, or OPWV, and you sold part of those holdings this month from an original purchase that was made in April (or earlier) and you made that sale in the first few days of this month :) then your portfolio return has been calculated incorrectly. I have updated all of those holdings so that they have a proper month-end price, the code has been changed so that partial sales will no longer cause this problem, and I'm about to run the script that will recalculate everyone's portfolio return.

18. Dave Rathbun

The script has been run. If anyone thinks their portfolio return is off, and you can look at your monthly return calculation page and see something strange, please either post it here or send me a PM about it. Please be specific as to which holding (stock, purchase date, etc.) you think is being calculated wrong.

I ran a check query that looked for anything open prior to this month that was either still open, or partially sold, or completely sold this month that did not have a proper month-ending price quote from last month. Those were the issues that were causing several folks to have inflated returns. Since the month-end price was zero, the entire value of the holding was treated as a gain for this month.

The leader board looks a bit different now, but Grim is still strong out of the gate with nearly a 16% return in one week of trading.

19. Dave Rathbun

Speaking of the leader board, I made one small change this evening. In the drop-down list of sort options we used to have Portfolio Return. However, it's not a true portfolio return, it's a monthly portfolio return. So I changed the text. It's still the same code behind the scenes, but the name is now more accurate. 8)

20. jdunn72

Home Page:
    Looks good ;)