Simulator Updates / Progress Notes

Discussion in 'eInvesting Trading Simulator' started by Trading Simulator, Feb 3, 2006.

1. vetelmo

vetelmo Active Member Original Member

My portfolio did something screwy twice today, one it said my portfolio was at -14% but it corrected itself once I clicked on the monthly return link. It did it again just now but said i was -5%. Just in case you need to know this stuff. ;)

2. Dave Rathbun

Dave Rathbun Original Creator Original Member

I don't, but thanks.

I know what the issue is, but so far my attempts to correct it have proven to be less than successful. When I have to update everyone's portfolios at once I'm asking for nearly a thousand different symbol quotes. Most of the time Yahoo returns them all, but on occasion it does not. When that happens the quote value is treated as zero, and your return goes south.

I'm working on a better way to handle it.

3. jdunn72

jdunn72 Active Member Original Member

Home Page:
    Dave, maybe in your scripts it might help if you have MYSQL dynamically Create a clone of the table with the quote data and schema in it and return the new yahoo data to the newly created table. After it gets the data........ run a query that pulls all the quotes >0 from it and use that query for the update query on the real table then have it Drop the dynamically created table for the process to start all over again, or basically something like that. Thereby not updating quotes with a zero val on the real table :wink:

4. Dave Rathbun

My simple approach was to simply count how many quotes I requested versus how many quotes I got, and retry until the two matched. Something in the logic is incorrect, as I still will get quote bundles that contain fewer quotes than requested.

The quote system is being redone for a variety of reasons, so I'm adding some additional checks. I'm also adding an automatic insert for all invalid quotes into a table viewable by the admins, so instead of waiting for users to complain about stock symbol changes (or whatever) the admin screen will already show that something is wrong.

5. SwashBuckler

SwashBuckler Member Original Member

Can we now trade .OB and .PK stocks starting this week?

6. rick103054

rick103054 Member Original Member

I WISH I WORKED AT THE STOCK MARKET. NICE HOURS 8:30-3:00

7. eamoses

eamoses Member Original Member

i was wondering if we would be able to set up limits/stops anytime soon. that would be a big plus

8. Dave Rathbun

We don't have any scheduled release dates. Limits and shorts are two features on the priority list.

9. jutiki

jutiki Member Original Member

I wanted to short AHM, NFI, BZH, & FMT last week but we don't have that feature :(